16 Jul 2013

Our Italian Garden: July


We are always grateful that we have family members who look after our house and garden in both England and Italy when we are away from either of them.  However, it's a while since we were in Italy and we knew that there would be a lot of tidying up to do such as mowing the grass and clipping shrubs and hedges during our time there this month.


At the back of the house the former vineyard, now cut down and laid to grass, had become a meadow!


The grassy areas and trees in the front of the house also needed attention although our brother-in-law had been busy keeping the ground under the vines clean and tidy.




He had made a broom with twigs and a bamboo handle to sweep the dried leaves and it works really well.


Our flowering shrubs and other plants have to be those that need little attention and will still produce blooms in season.  At the moment the pink variety of oleander looks pretty and the evergreen jasmine flowers produce a lovely perfume in the warm Summer months and attract the butterflies and bees. Even the wild flowers in the long grass are various and attractive.  





17 comments:

  1. love that shot with the broom, such a lovely spot and the broom is really a good idea. my second favorite is the one above it of under the grape vines. you are blessed to have both homes and family to help when not there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just gorgeous!!!
    Love the grape arbor. How I would love spending time sweeping with that broom and smelling the jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Oleander is an exquisite shade of pink, and love the shade created by the vines just what we need at the moment with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Linda. Hope you had/are having a good time in Italy. Looks like you and hubby had alot to do to 'tidy' things up.... What a beautiful place....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful thing it must be to have a delightful place in Italy!!! Gorgeous, says I a little grren eyed!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have gardens in both England and Italy, both very different I'd bet. It looks so lush where you are, plenty of greenery around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely look at your Italian garden...I can imagine in the scent of the jasmine but I don't know the scent of oleander. I once read a book called White Oleander and came to learn of its poisonous qualities (if I remember the novel correctly).
    I love the twig broom :) I had one like that in my Renaissance Festival booth for sweeping up in an authentic fashion :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,

    Welcome back and I loved seeing your beautiful Italian garden - how beautiful all your flowering shrubs are.
    The twig broom is a lovely thing too.

    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a glorious spot.. I don't think I would ever want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house looks lovely. It looks so cool under the vines and the oleander and jasmine look so pretty. I like the twig broom:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Linda, you have a gorgeous home and breathtaking surroundings. I also loved the broom your brother-in-law made. I could live here and be very content.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous to be able to visit between England and Italy. I have a friend who is from Scotland and they have a second home also. Right now she is visiting in the Highlands, and how lovely to have the best of both worlds. I know you will enjoy your time in Italy. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know your Italian grounds and garden require a great deal of work, but setting for your home is simply beautiful. I'm so glad you can enjoy your Italian home and share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply idyllic - it must be wonderful to return to your Italian home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pink oleander spilling over the fence is such a pretty sight. What a beautiful area you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Italian garden looks wonderful, Linda, though I know what you mean about your grass turning into a wildflower meadow, as the same happens to us in Normandy. Your flowering shrubs are beautiful and I love your pergola of vines.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks lovely even overgrown!

    ReplyDelete