Last Thursday we drove down to Cromford, Derbyshire which is well known for being the place where Richard Arkwright, the inventor of a spinning machine used in the production of cotton goods, began a programme of building mills and developing the village to house his workers. Arkwright had decided that water was an effective source of power and the area around the River Derwent was ideal for this purpose.
After a quick look around the mill complex we decided to have lunch in the village and return later to have a look at the mill buildings, the church by the river and nearby wharf side canal.
We had lunch in The Greyhound Inn which is a Grade II listed building built in 1789. Its clock was the first public clock in Cromford. Important visitors and traders would have stayed there and the Arkwrights (father and son) used it for business. It was the centre of the entertainments that Richard Arkwright laid on for his workers.
Behind the Greyhound Inn is the Greyhound Pond which is the lowest of the ponds constructed up the valley for the storage of water. In the corner near Water Lane is a sluice gate that controls the water between the pond and other water courses in the village. The cottages on the hill were once inhabited by lead miners and date from the 17th century and 18th century. The mill and buildings
were part of this little settlement on the hillside of Scarthin Rock. The mill wheel still turns today (by electricity). It was interesting to see it move around.
In the courtyard and water wheel building there's a business selling all types of woven baskets.
We don't often get a photo taken together, but with a grandson enthusiastic to snap us.....
This peaceful spot is just a corner of an interesting village. We moved on to spend some more time at the Cromford Mills.