9 Apr 2013

Saturday morning outing (2)



As you can imagine, there are some good walking trails around Bradfield Dale, starting in the village of High Bradfield. There's plenty of information to help individuals or there are guided walks in this unspoilt area.  Neither my husband nor I are able to do long, strenuous walks and I try to stay close to even paths and lanes whilst my husband sometimes comes with me or sits in a warm place. This time he sat in the car and looked at the wonderful views which, for once, had been warmed by the sunshine and then I joined him after my gentle, circular stroll around the village beginning in the main street, known as 'Towngate', which leads to the church.  The stone houses on the right were once busy with the home industry of spinners, weavers, fullers and tailors.




Next to the church gates is the imposing building of the Old Post Office, formerly an inn known as 'Heaven's Gate'.  It was used as a registry office, vestry and school as well as a post office. (Both this photo and the next two were taken last year when the daffodils were out.  There are always beautiful displays of seasonal flowering plants around the village, but this year they have suffered from the bad weather).



There are some intriguing footpaths.  This one probably would take the walker down to Low Bradfield.



However, I turned up Jane Lane passed the Old Post Office, now a private house, and the Watch House building.



Another interesting entrance beside the Watch House gives access to a footpath across the top of the churchyard to Bailey Hill and walking trails beyond down to Agden Reservoir. Here there's a huge, tree-covered mound which is believed to be the remnant of a motte and bailey castle.  An easier way round would be through the entrance gates of the churchyard for anyone less sprightly!  Even so, I decided not to explore in that direction.



At the top of Jane Lane there's another farm, further walks in the countryside and good views back down across Bradfield Dale, Derwent Edge and Back Tor.



Opposite the farm there's another footpath and a pretty corner beautifully planted out with Spring flowers around the animal drinking trough where there's also running water.






Turning down another lane, passing the Rectory, I walked downhill back to the start of my short walk. (Again, the last photo was taken more-or-less at the 
same time last year).


12 comments:

  1. Dear Linda, it´s a pleasure reading you and admiring this beautiful landscape and scenery!!! Un bacione grande

    ReplyDelete
  2. High Bradfield looks a lovely place to take a walk in the sunshine. I do not think that I have visited it - Edale and Hathersage are about as far as I get these days on my annual visits to Derbyshire. With the flowers being so late I wonder if it will have any bearing on the flowers needed for the well dressings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous looking place. I love the hedge in the first and second pictures! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colour of the stonework. Very evocative for me and takes me right back there, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely village walk you've had, thank you for taking me around. Stunning photos and views too. I'm just catching up on some post reading and must have missed part 1 but will find it eventually.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Such a treat to walk with you here. I love all the stone walks and walls. You walk through such old history. How I would love visiting with the weavers and spinners there in those little houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos make my heart ache. It is almost painful to see such lovely countryside and the quaintness of the villages. If only I had saved better, I could have retired in England and taken walks with you. Thank you so much for sharing your walks and photos. They fill my heart with longing for a slower, more peaceful life.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda,

    You live in a gorgeous village and thanks for taking us along with you on your walk.
    Love the old stone buildings and the church, the daffodils and the view looking over the countryside.

    Happy week
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such stunning scenery. I don't thing you always need to walk, a lovely drive and rest in the car whilst admiring the view can be just as exhilarating when the countryside is so beautiful. The village looks really well kept, lovely buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bonjour
    étant une passionnée de l'ére Victorienne
    Jane Austen , la famille Brontë , les poètes des Lacs :::::::Dickens ::::
    j' aime cette Angleterre aux multiples facettes
    le cimetière avec ses daffodils
    comme je suis handicapée grâce à vous je me promène
    et je découvre
    merci pour ce voyage
    c' est magnifique
    à très bientôt
    edith (iris) France

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful village. Thank you so much for the tour.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charming! Looks like you could explore there for days with all of the different lanes and paths.

    ReplyDelete