15 Mar 2013

Italian hill towns: Arpino


Arpino is one of the hill towns is in the Ciociaria region south of Rome.
It's the birthplace of Cicero, the orator, the Roman statesman, Caius Marius and was the home of the painter, Giuseppe Cesari,who was also know as the Cavaliere d'Arpino, so there are many reminders of these personalities and their life and times in the area.  The town also has personal associations as my husband's two younger sisters were educated at a convent boarding college there.  Whenever we drive there I think of my late mother-in-law, who was then widowed, who used to walk there and back home so that she could see her daughters. Half the distance there was uphill, but that was normal for any country person not so long ago.


The town buildings are built on the two hills and we've walked with our family to the highest point, been there when there have been cultural festivals and markets in the Summer and, as in this photo above, during the Spring break.












                                                                Freesias


                                Lemons growing in the drive of the town police station.


8 comments:

  1. It must be a real joy to be able to walk around this beautiful town and enjoy the views (and the history). It's easy to see why this is a favorite place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look very pretty Linda. You are so lucky to have all this on your doorstep. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful town on the hillside... The views are awesome. I can understand why this is a special place. WOW--gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda,

    Gorgeous photos and yes, I can see why you love this place so much.
    Everything there is wonderful. Freesias are a favourite of mine too and love it when they are growing along the roadside when I go out walking in Spring here.

    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda
    Such lovely hilltop villages where your house is, you must love spending time there.
    I'm thinking of your dear mother-in-law, it would have been difficult being a widow in those days, life must have been so hard for her yet she made that journey on foot to see her girls.
    Wishing you a relaxing weekend and I hope you're able to enjoy a lovely walk!
    Shane ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, lovely photos Linda! I can't even imagine living someplace with that much history and beauty. Those are the kind of places we only dream of visiting and you get to live and visit there any time you want. I hope you realize how blessed you are. If I sound a little jealous, I am :)
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post so much, lovely pictures about this area still unknown to me.
    And the freesias... I can imagine the smell!!!! Bacione

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it would be a favorite of mine too.
    It is just gorgeous. How I would love lemons growing nearby and freesia too.
    In some ways it reminds me of our time in France in the hill country. I love it.

    ReplyDelete