25 Feb 2013

Ancient local farmhouses




The countryside we drove through last week was once the ancient seat of the Worrall family. There are several substantial dwellings sheltered by the crest of the hilltop and surrounded by other farm buildings. All the farmhouses have interesting historical features.




This farm has windows with stained glass panels in them and a chimney stack with emblems of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem because the property and land had once been owned by a local priory, The Priory of St. John of Jerusalem, dissolved in Tudor times, then owned by wealthy local nobility, patrons of the Worralls.


This house and farm was the former manorial home of one branch of the Worrall family. The open pediment over the front door and an ancient barn still containing four sets of oak cruck timbers indicate that it was an important dwelling. There are only one or two cruck barns in the area that have survived and this one is well-preserved.
Illus. Bob Warburton 




In a cruck building the weight is carried on pairs of timbers called cruck blades which rise from the
the ground base and meet at the apex of the roof.  The wood for the blades is selected from
naturally bent trees. The structure is strengthened by the cross beams.


It was an interesting experience to see these architectural features and learn about the history of this farming community in former times. 

10 comments:

  1. love the tree and the stone fence in front of it and really like that last shot... the roof, the stones the driveway,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timbers in the Cruck barn are so interesting. My husband's parents used to be friendly with a dear old couple by the name of Worrall - it's an unusual name. They used to visit and bring their free range eggs for my M-i-L to sell on her stall in Shrewsbury Market

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this, Linda. Reading about the Cruck barn structure is so interesting... So glad you visited there and took photos for US. Can't believe there were stained glass windows in homes back then... That's neat!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking us along, Linda!
    I had heard about Cruck barns, but never seen one, fascinating (my paternal grandfather built wooden barns).

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fascinating! I've really enjoyed reading about the history of the old houses and buildings. Aren't cruck barns such wonderful structures? I've only ever seen them in Museums - never still in use:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Linda and I enjoyed learning about the cruck barn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love seeing this barn. I love all barns, but have never seen one with this construction. It is beautiful in a rustic sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What spectacular woodwork! Our Welsh house, though much altered over the years, has the remains of some cruck beams in the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love going on these trips with you - I always learn so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the old farm houses. I especially like the ancient timbers. I will follow your blog just to see pictures of home. I miss it so much.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete