2 Feb 2013

A walk in a city park


Yesterday was a bitterly cold day.  The snow has melted leaving our garden full of greenery, but lacking in colour except for a few snowdrops.  I decided to take the tram into the city so that I could take a different walk in Western Park and maybe see some plants in bloom in the woodland areas of the municipal gardens.





Although there were dried leaves around the snowdrops, primulas and hellebores the ground was muddy so I didn't want to bend down and take photos at ground level - I have a dodgy knee - so they are not particularly detailed, but these early blooms were a welcome sight.


Western Park is in the heart of the university and hospital areas and also has museum buildings and an art gallery in the grounds.  Below this wall is a narrow road and beyond that another park and lake.


There's also a small pond in Western Park which has been restored and new bridges installed. Felled trees from the park were used in their construction.





Although it was a cold day the time spent walking around the park was a pleasant change.  I took quite a lot of photos of some of the monuments and other architectural features of buildings in the grounds which I will save for another post. The park is a popular place where I've joined my friendship group of Eastern Asian families for a picnic on Summer days and the museum and art gallery is worth a visit.

I hope your weekend is going well. My husband's thoughts are turning to his gardening and he's been buying compost and vegetable seeds to supplement the ones he's already stored.



8 comments:

  1. How lovely to see some snowdrops - spring is on the way! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it lovely to see those Hellebores beginning to flower. They are such pretty plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are lovely. I love hellebores - got a deep maroon coloured one just starting to flower in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely walk and those snowdrops looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your walk and discoveries of signs of Spring.
    I have all but the snowdrops in my garden now. I was out searching for signs recently too. I just love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking us with you on your walk through the park. It was nice to see some blossoms. We had snow today -- about three inches. Fortunately the roads are in pretty good shape. Your husband isn't the only one thinking about gardening. I hope you have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful park! I don't blame you for not wanting to bend down near the mud for a closer shot... Besides, the ones you took are lovely as is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful park and one I would definitely enjoy walking in.

    ReplyDelete