20 Dec 2012

Indoor plant gift



Around about October I started planting the bulbs that would flower indoors around about Christmas time and in the first weeks of January.   I like to give these as little gifts, especially to our  two daughters and daughter-in-law.  In the past I've grown some in water in special bulb containers so that the grandchildren could see the roots developing, but in recent years I've planted up bulbs in individual pots.  I've also planted up narcissus bulbs in a big pot.

This year the plants are behind in growth - the second photo is from last year - but it doesn't matter because they will be enjoyed when they do produce flowers in a week or two.



7 comments:

  1. what a beautiful idea for gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there could be a better gift than beautiful blossoms in the winter. They will brighten up the gloomiest day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As George said, there couldn't be a better gift than seeing beautiful flowers in the winter.... No matter when they bloom, they will be loved...

    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowering plants are the sweetest gifts, Linda. Good for you, growing them as you do. I've never been successful at the wintertime blooming plants, even when they come in a box, ready to go :(

    Christmas is soon to arrive and lucky you listen to the 9 Lessons and Carols at King's live! There was a time when I could hear it on Minnesota Public Radio, probably a recording, but it made for a most festive afternoon on Christmas Eve as I finished the preparations. Now, I have the recording from 2010 to play for myself and will do it at just the right time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bulbs look very healthy. Your daughters and D.I.L will love them. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, I can smell them from here...... Such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband always plants so narcissus for Christmas. They are so pretty! What a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete