28 Sep 2012

I didn't see Alice


We had a wonderful view of Llandudno's North Bay from our hotel bedroom window.




On the promenade is The Mad Hatter with the dormouse;  one of the Alice in Wonderland statues that can be seen in the town.  
Llandudno has a link with the author, Lewis Carroll, because the real Alice who inspired the Wonderland tales, Alice Liddell, spent vacations with her family at their holiday home, Penmorfa, on the West Shore. 



                                                                           
Not far away is the White Rabbit


There's a statue of Alice in Wonderland outside the train station and the Cheshire Cat is in an area of landscaped gardens with an open air theatre in the Happy Valley on the Great Orme.  A visitor can reach the summit of this headland on foot, tramway or cable car and perhaps we will return some day and explore this popular area of the town?

In the meantime, anyone for tea and a biscuit?   And since I didn't see Alice I bought a souvenir of lovely Llandudno from the Wonderland collection with a retail outlet at the information centre - a teabag or tea spoon rest to remind me of a happy time there.


We were blessed with good weather that week, but the storms have returned to parts of Britain, including Wales, and many areas have been hit with flooding once more.  People have been evacuated from homes and businesses so those of us who live on higher and drier ground remember them and hope that their situation will improve and there will be a respite in the bad weather and that the waters will subside.

Wherever you are I hope that you have a peaceful weekend.


8 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading about your trip to Wales, Linda, maybe we will to visit this area ourselves one day. We have seen the flooding on the television, what havoc Mother Nature is creating, so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I would have loved seeing these statues. What a nice gift to yourself too. Love Alice and all the characters there. No baby here, but we are hoping the full moon this weekend helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place to visit. It's nice that you invite us along on your travels with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Linda. If you make a comment it seems to be the only way I can keep track of you and your blog...please keep coming back so I can use your comment link to click onto your lastest post. :)
    Hugs, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda,

    I too have been enjoying visiting Wales vicariously through your holiday and many thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.
    Alice in Wonderland was a favorite book of mine and love that you went home with the teaspoon rest.
    Have seen the bad wet weather you have been having over there, hope it improves.

    Have a lovely weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Alice, one of my favourite childhood books. I hadnt realised there was so many statues of the characters,in that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating place. I'm not sure why, but I've never been an Alice in Wonderland fan. Perhaps I should actually read it some time. I like the souvenier.:>)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs, superb views. I am greeting

    ReplyDelete