12 Sep 2012

Heritage Open Days Weekend Walk


Last weekend was the annual Heritage Open Days event which celebrates England's heritage and culture by offering free access to places that are usually closed to the public or charge for admission.
I joined a group walk in one of our local dales to visit old farmhouses,  some of which are still working farms, led by an historian who has written about the area.
The meeting point was at a distinctive landmark monument, which, in fact, is a water tank for a farm. (The farmhouse is in the wooded area). It was then embellished by one owner to include a roof and obelisk.  Made of local stone, the structure doesn't look out of place in the rural landscape. The date carved on it is AD 1856.




It was a lovely day for a walk.  As usual I'm bringing up the rear with one or two others who were taking photographs.
This is one of the farms we visited with solid stone walls and interesting doors, windows and ventilation openings in the barns and outhouses.



                                                                       The farmyard


                                         The farmhouse with a date plaque for 1697



We appreciated the fact that the owners enabled us to visit farms that are not usually open to the general public who walk in this beautiful area.


5 comments:

  1. Hello Linda. I've just come over from my blog where you left a comment for which I thank you. I enjoyed reading about your day out and loved the photos. I've just become a follower, we seem to like the same things in life. My husband and I have just joined a walking group and yes, like you I'm always the one left behind because I'm busy snapping!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! How I would love going on a walk like this one. Your photo of the white horses was especially beautiful. Maybe next year I will visit this country side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always fascinated by the images and history you share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super walk. I loved the farmhouse, and was interested to see that the front door looks blocked up. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us along on your farm walk, like you I would be left behind! It happens to me all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete