10 Sep 2012

Cake baking: Victoria Sponge Cake


We had some special people come for tea yesterday afternoon so I made a Victoria Sandwich Sponge Cake.  The recipe is a simple one as there are equal amounts of self-raising flour, caster sugar and  butter and three eggs.  Usually I add cocoa powder to make a chocolate cake, but as I didn't have this ingredient to hand I used drinking chocolate powder.  The topping was vanilla butter icing with a few swirls of chocolate and then I sandwiched the two pieces of sponge cake together with layers of vanilla and chocolate butter icing.  A traditional Victoria Sandwich Cake is a plain cake with a cream and home made jam filling and a dusting of icing sugar on the top.
My guests enjoyed the cake and there wasn't much left - just enough for a slice at a mid-morning break or a teatime treat this week and a last minute photo opportunity!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the email, the link came straight here with no problems and you still seem to have all your followers. My Mum used to make us a Victoria sandwich or some other cake every weekend when the girls were growing up. I still miss her cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm! It looks delicious! I am sure your guest enjoyed immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,

    Lovely to discover your blog.
    The Victoria sponge cake looks delicious and can see why there was not much left.
    Love the pretty poppies in your header too.

    Happy week
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete