20 Jun 2012

June celebrations (2)

Yesterday we spent an enjoyable day in Bakewell in the Derbyshire Dales.
The River Wye is one of the waterways that meanders through this area of Derbyshire, so there are pleasant walks along its banks. Bakewell market was established in 1254 and the town developed as a trading centre.  When natural springs were discovered in the area it became something of a spa town and small mills were established in the area.  The water mills have now been restored as eating places and centres for local artisans and there is still a weekly market.  Bakewell is also known worldwide as a place for 'foodies' as it's famous for the place where the Bakewell Pudding/Tart was created; (more about that another time).  Despite the numbers of visitors to the town, it still remains an unspoilt and charming town.

View from the weir bridge











After wandering around the town we had lunch in one of the converted mill complexes where the restaurant had a menu of modern-style Italian/Mediterranean food before driving back home through the varied landscape of the hills and dales in the beautiful Derbyshire Peak District Park and the country lanes of south Yorkshire.




7 comments:

  1. I thought I recognized that house in your header! I followed through and read all your posts to discover you are my blog friend from Seven Hills. You were on my list to email once I recovered from school and rested up. I wanted to let you know how much I had enjoyed your blog and that I hoped all was well.

    It's so good to see your version of the English countryside again. Happy Anniversary! That looks like a wonderful place to spend it--quite quaint and unspoiled--a rarety these days.

    Those photos of the foxgloves with the bee inside are incredible! You should be proud!
    I'm so glad you are blogging again.:>)

    I am sporadic in my reading of blogs and posting of my own--it all depends on my health and what I'm juggling at the time. But I will check in with you occasionally and probably catch up on several posts at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I'm glad to be back blogging again.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both. I remember Bakewell Tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi linda, happy anniversary! i've been going through your posts since you began again...especially loved the foxgloves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda, Happy Anniversary. Looks like you two had a wonderful day in Bakewell. What a gorgeous place.

    Thanks for coming to my blog. Come back anytime. I am enjoying yours.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary, Linda! Looks like the two of you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete